mouldings 22

Door Terminologies

Molded Panel or Hollow Core Door: An engineered door made from two sheets of Masonite laminated to a wooden frame.  They typically come in a 1-3/8" or 1-3/4" thickness.

Flush Doors: A flat, panel-less door that comes either with a hollow core, particleboard core, wood stave core, or a mineral core.  Fire-rated doors are also available.

Solid Wood Door: A door made from solid wood panels, with rails and styles.  Solid Wood Doors can be either paint grade (typically with a MDF skin for a smooth finish) or Stain Grade, suitable for staining.

Door Slab: The term used to describe the door itself without the jamb or any hardware.

Pre-Hung Door: A door complete with the hinges, openings for hardware and the jamb included.
Door Swing:
Applicable when order pre hung doors, the direction by which the door swings.

Came: A piece of metal, often bronze, silver or black, which goes in between two pieces of glass to create a greater finishing panel. This method is sometimes called “leading”.

Core: The center layer in finished wood, usually consisting of several pieces glued or finger-jointed together.

Dowelled Construction: A way of creating wood doors with matching holes put in the stiles and rails. Wooden pins (dowels) are then put in the holes and used to connect the stiles and rails with glue.

Engineered Construction: A way of creating a door part with smaller fingerjointed, end-glued pieces of core wood that is covered with a superior veneer compared to when made with only solid wood.

Face Width: The width of a separate door component, not including the width of the profile (the whole door) or suitable moulding.

Fingerjoint: A method of combining two pieces of wood by connecting them at the ends like a puzzle piece and gluing them together.

Glazing: The piece(s) of glass that is used in a door.

Glazing Bead: A small piece of wood that is used to secure the glass in the door.

Laminated Construction: A way of fastening layers of wood together to form a thicker piece.

Mortise: A notch or hole in a stile or rail that a tenon of the same size will fit into.

Mullion:A vertical piece that separates panels, like in wainscoting. 

Muntin Bar: A short bar used to separate pieces of glass but does not fully fit the entire size of the opening.

Panel, Flat: A distinct section of a sheet of material which, in this case, is consistently flat.

Panel, Raised: A distinct section of a sheet of material, which the edges are lower to fit into stiles and rails.

Rail: A horizontal divider which is used to frame a panel or door.

Rail, Bottom: A rail that is used at the bottom of a panel or door.

Rail, Intermediate: A rail that is used to separate panels from other panels or glass.

Rail, Lock: A rail that is used to divide and frame a panel or door, level with the lock set.

Rail, Top: A rail that is used at the top of a panel or door.

Raised Moulding: Moulding that can be used as decoration on a door or as a stop for panels or glass.

Sticking: The creation by machine of a profile on all pieces used to frame or separate panels or glass.

Stile: Wooden components that are used to vertically frame a door or panel.

Stop,  Door Stop ot Door Shoe: A method to secure an addition into a doorframe.

Request A Quote

  • No Obligation to make a purchase

Download Catalog ... It's Free!